we returned from the honeymoon (or "eatingmoon" as my cousin referred to it) on sunday night feeling ginormous from eating all of the delicious food that chicago had to offer us. in an attempt to counteract our weeks' worth of indulgences, we are both doing a carb-restricted (atkins) diet for a few weeks. i must admit, i am not as disciplined as i was the last time that i was on this 'diet'. i am trying to be a little more creative this time around so that we don't have to eat salad or a slab of meat for every meal.
one of the few carbs that i really miss when i do a low-carb diet (besides the obvious 'sugar' food group, which in my perfect world would be the only food group) is pasta. i have to admit that although lasagna is one of my favorite italian dishes, i often end up eating around the lasagna noodles because it's too filling with them. but trying to make a lasagna without the pasta is difficult, as it ends up just being a tomato-cheese soup. so i thought that i would attempt to replace the pasta with eggplant and zucchini slices. i was really worried about it since the last time that i made eggplant it was not a favorite with my main food critic. fortunately my experiment was a HUGE success! we both loved it... and hope that you do too.
this recipe is a little extra work than your average lasagna, but it is definitely worth it.
one large egg plant, sliced into 1/8" slices
2 zucchinis, sliced lengthwise into 1/8" slices
several tablespoons olive oil
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 pkg. sausage, cooked
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1- 28 oz. can spaghetti sauce
1- 10.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
2 tsps. dried basil
2 1/2 c. mozz. cheese, divided
1- 16 oz. container ricotta cheese
1 T. dried parsley
1/2 t. pepper
salt to taste
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- on a lightly-oiled grill pan on med-high heat, grill eggplant and zucchini slices about 3 minutes per side, until slightly tender.
- in a medium saute pan, cook mushrooms in 2-3 T. olive oil until soft and slightly browned. add minced garlic and cook a few more minutes.
- in a bowl combine spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, cooked sausage, and mushrooms. salt to taste.
- in a second bowl combine ricotta, 1 1/2 c mozz., 2 eggs, parsley, and pepper.
- spread 1 c. of sauce mixture on the bottom of a glass 9" x 13" pan. top with a layer of grilled eggplant slices. cover with all of ricotta mixture. cover with all of the zucchini slices then pour about 1/2 of remaining sauce mixture over zucchini. top with remaining eggplant slices. pour the rest of the sauce mixture over the eggplant and then sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of mozz and 1/2 c. parm. cheese.
- cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. remove foil and bake additional 10-15 minutes.
hope that you enjoy this low-carb, pasta-less, eggplant lasagna as much as we did!